Ultrasound technician training programs are designed to prepare aspiring ultrasound techs for a career in one of the most sought-after healthcare fields in America. Like any highly competitive profession there are a variety of specialized career paths available in this field. As such, students have several options when it comes to their education whether they opt for programs offered by career-oriented ultrasound technician schools or classes at a local community college.
Everyone’s career path is (and should be) unique to them. However, there are a few common pitfalls to avoid and the best preparation for a successful career starts with a quality education.
How to Become an Ultrasound Technician
Regardless of their area of specialization, ultrasound technicians are almost always required to undergo some formal education or training. For many, the first step to becoming an ultrasound tech is to earn a certificate or degree in the field. This means that the overall ultrasound technician training process can take anywhere from around a year to four years or more. Choosing how far to pursue their education is a big decision for techs-in-training and will involve determining which path best suits their own economic, professional and personal needs:
- Certificate – For those with an existing career in a related healthcare field, a certificate in sonography can be the ideal route. It’s not unheard of for someone to earn their certificate in order to pursue formal certification as a means of bolstering their current salary. With a projected program length of year or less, a certificate program is the quickest (and often cheaper) way of obtaining sonography training. Typically this route is only really useful if a student already has a career in a related healthcare field.
- Associate’s Degree – One of the most common ultrasound technician training programs is an associate’s degree program. Most students can earn their associate’s degree in sonography in about two years. After earning the initial degree, students will continue their ultrasound technician training in a controlled healthcare environment under the supervision of a professional
- Bachelor’s Degree – The most intensive ultrasound technician training program is typically a bachelor’s degree program. Most bachelor degrees take four years to earn, although they can lead to more career opportunities and jobs with higher paying salaries.
In addition to earning a degree or certificate, an important part of ultrasound technician training includes a clinical component. Students will earn credits by working with a professional technician in either a hospital or another type of healthcare clinic. During this time students may begin to gain experience in a specialty they wish to pursue. Most employers will only hire candidates who have a degree or certificate from an accredited institution.
How Important is Accreditation for an Ultrasound School?
Before enrolling in any ultrasound technician training program, students must take several factors into consideration. Accreditation is a subject that any prospective student should be aware of. Put simply: attending an ultrasound training program at an accredited institution is the quickest and safest way of starting your ultrasound career.
This isn’t to say that accreditation is required of all schools or for all students, far from it. The situation breaks down like this:
- It is technically possible to gain certification without having graduated from an accredited school or program.
- It is possible to gain employment in the ultrasound field without certification.
- In fact, graduates will need to meet a specific number of hours of on-the-job experience as a per-requisite for applying for certification.
- Unfortunately, many of the opportunities available to candidates without certification are lower-paying gigs on either a finite contract basis or limited hours. This makes pursuing certification a more time-intensive process.
- Graduates of an accredited ultrasound technician training program are able to apply for certification with fewer per-requisites.
The easiest way to check if a school or program is accredited is by going to the CAAHEP website and searching for the school in question. Admissions representatives will often be able to answer most if not all questions regarding accreditation as well.
Ultrasound Technician Training Curriculum
The typical ultrasound technician training curriculum includes a wide variety of courses. Several courses cover specifics of sonography and cardiovascular technology, while others involve broader aspects of the medical field and healthcare industry. Some of the most common courses students can expect include the following:
- Ultrasound Principles
- Medical Ethics
- Patient Care
- Basic Physics
These are just a portion of the classes included in most ultrasound technician training programs. Students will also have the option to take additional classes in advanced programs that focus on various specialties in the field.
Ultrasound Technician Training Programs Enrolling Now
Find out where the future can take you with an outstanding college education. At Platt College, you’ll find the career-specific programs and training for the careers you really want. Come explore a variety of career paths that fit your lifestyle in a positive learning environment that combines real-world experience with small, private college instruction. Classes are conveniently scheduled during morning or evening hours to work around outside employment commitments. For working adults, Platt’s curriculum offers a way to continue earning a living while studying for a new career.
For over 145 years, Sanford-Brown has been helping adult students achieve their educational goals. Every aspect of the Sanford-Brown experience is designed to help you excel in your studies, gain confidence, and achieve your personal vision of success.
- We surround every student with an unmatched level of personal support, whether it’s tutoring, financial aid planning, job interview tips, or even help writing a resume.
- Inside the classroom we emphasize hands-on training, access to current technologies, and faculty with real-world experience, all of which make our programs relevant to your training.
- We maintain strong ties with the local business community, offering externships and keeping our fingers on the pulse of the local job market.
In 2014, Sanford-Brown merged with the International Academy of Design & Technology (IADT) and Brown College to form a stronger, more diverse institution. Today, depending on the location, Sanford-Brown campuses may offer Health, Design, Technology and/or Business programs, among others.
If you’re ready to improve your career future, then Sanford-Brown is ready to provide a robust educational experience that’s entirely centered on you and your success.
College of Health Care Professions
The College of Health Care Professions is a great place for working adults to enhance their current careers, or help themselves find new career pathways to better lives. We also train high school graduates to enter in the exciting high demand Healthcare industry.
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
At Keiser University, you will find a warm, friendly community with faculty and staff truly committed to your success. Our small class sizes, individualized attention, and one-class-at-a-time schedules create a positive learning environment where you can excel. Whether your goal is to prepare for a new career or to advance with your current employer, Keiser University is designed around your needs.
Take your life in an exciting new direction with an education from Virginia College! Graduates of Virginia College can be confident in the skills and training that they’ve received because programs are designed for their success. Virginia College focuses on the needs of the job market of each industry, creating programs that meet the needs of students and future employees alike.
Virginia College provides the convenience of flexible class schedules with the benefits of small class sizes. Financial aid is available for those who qualify, helping open doors for everyone who wants to improve his or her education and opportunities!
Virginia College provides a number of choices in order to offer you the education that best fits your needs and goals, from diploma and associate degree programs to bachelor degree programs at some locations. Virginia College’s school of business management even offers graduate degrees at select campuses. Programs are also offered in a number of different fields, providing choices as varied as graphic design degrees or paralegal studies. Whether you’re interested in criminal justice schools or a cosmetology college, Virginia College has a choice that’s right for you!